Vision and Mission
The Markham Group of Artists (MGA) is a vibrant community of artists that has been inspiring creatives in the Markham area since 1981. Founded by Pat Wheeler and incorporated on April 16, 2012, MGA includes artists from beginners to professionals, who work in a variety of media and styles. MGA welcomes all visual artists, and currently has a membership consisting of 70 artists, the majority of whom reside in the City of Markham. MGA offers an array of workshops and lectures by distinguished artists and stages a variety of juried and non-juried shows in the community on an annual basis. MGA also holds annual juried shows: at the McKay Art Centre of Unionville and the Windows Open show in September. In spring, summer, and fall, MGA artists are out and about painting community scenes en plein air. MGA collaborates with the City of Markham community, such as participating in public art projects such as painting mosaics and, on occasion, collaborating with the Varley Art Gallery.
A vibrant community of artists creating, learning, and growing together; enriching local culture and connecting with the world.
To provide opportunities for MGA members to improve and grow their artistic talent by:
- recognizing and encouraging excellence in visual art through granting of awards and distinctions,
- energizing artistic creativity through a supportive network of artists,
- providing opportunities for exposure of members’ artwork through shows, digital media and public art,
- engaging with the community by making available our resources and expertise,
- fostering partnerships with other organizations, and
- promoting a better understanding and appreciation of the visual arts.
MGA recognizes the importance of ethical conduct and commits to:
- conduct itself with the highest level of integrity and fairness;
- offer fair and equitable access to MGA art shows, sales, events, and projects; and
- engage respectfully with artists of all backgrounds and beliefs.